Our primary goal is to bring the best theatre from the United States to China and vice versa. And to foster and encourage new voices and share your stories. This is why we’re interested in new works from artists like you.
We have an open submission where you can submit your new work at no cost to you. This open submission will remain open until January 2018 when our panel of esteemed judges will choose one work. We'll produce said work in 2019 with a significant budget for a year-long tour in China with a potential remount in the States. We look forward to reading your work! Thank you!
What We Are Offering
The top 5 plays that will be selected to receive feedback from our judges. This will help participants better their plays and get them ready for next year’s submissions. From those 5 plays, only one will be chosen to be fully produced. This accomplishment will be published in several theatre websites like Playbill.com and Broadwayworld.com
Year-Long Tour in China (2019):
- We will produce the full production in China
- Casting help and hiring of creative team as needed
- Opportunity to tour in China
- International tour in CHina
- Housing for team
- VISA/passort help
- Paid round-trip for creative team and cast
- Paid transport of production elements
Panel of Judges
- First right negotiation (for future production)
- Exclusive open submission until script is chosen.
- Has never granted and will not grant other individuals or entities to use the script in anyway before the the choosing outcome is issued. If script not chosen, there is no reward
- If script is chosen, artist agrees to a production (means to grant the right of adaptation for lotus lee foundation to use) in NYC in 2018-2019 and future production in China
- No previous production and publication all around the world
- Play must be a full-length piece. At least an hour long.
- Playwright/creator must be based in the United States.
- Must be an original work.
- Can be a play, performance art, movement piece, physical theatre, dance, musical, etc.
- Submissions will only be accepted in english. The show that is chosen will get translated to mandarin for the Chinese Tour in 2019.
- No restriction on plot, content, or themes
- Open to making use of new technology
- Projections, holograms, media technology, virtual reality, etc.
- PDF of full script
- Please do not include your name on the script
- Separate PDF:
- Playwright’s bio
- Summary of the play
- Character breakdown
- Production history, if applicable
- Creative team and cast breakdown, if applicable
- A short explanation of why you think your piece is a good fit for Lotus Lee
- Other info: professional website link, production photos or videos, inspirations, etc.